Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share|

I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
AuthorMessage
mpbaz

I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? Empty
PostSubject: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 am

You have a question about food...ask me I am happy to help:)
Back to top Go down
Storm
Admin
Storm

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 3:36 am

Brilliant Daz :-) I don't have a question at the moment . Maybe you'd like to post some of your favourite recipes?
Back to top Go down
mpbaz

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 6:38 am

Daz? ...recipes are my secret how can I keep anything mysterious if I give all my secrets away:)
Back to top Go down
Storm
Admin
Storm

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 am

mpbaz wrote:
Daz? ...recipes are my secret how can I keep anything mysterious if I give all my secrets away:)
lol...Sorry Baz... Daz is a friend on here..got confused.i won't share my amazing recipes then :-)
Back to top Go down
mpbaz

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:08 am

ohhh...you confused Moi with another and then you expect a recipe? you first:)
Back to top Go down
Oli C
Admin
Oli C

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Why shouldn't spaghetti ever be eaten with a bolognese sauce and why should you never add oil to the water before you boil pasta??

:p
Back to top Go down
mpbaz

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 am

Im not Italian oli so as you know the answers you will have to tell me cheeky.. however without looking I will guess oil shouldn't go into liquid before boiling as it is used to keep the pasta apart not as a cooking aid as such it would I would have thought make the pasta soggy?

The spaghetti one ref the sauce I have no idea of at all...I am guessing it was never designed to be eaten with such a sauce?
Back to top Go down
Storm
Admin
Storm

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 pm

hahaha! Oli is fanatical about Italian food and how it should be cooked. :-)
Back to top Go down
mpbaz

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 am

I was classically taught which is basically French!! We had some basics in Italian cooking ref 'al dente' pasta and the different types and we had an Italian restaurant manager...but that's it!!
Back to top Go down
Oli C
Admin
Oli C

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 3:01 am

lol ok

Never add oil to the water because although it does stop the pasta from sticking it coats each piece of pasta with oil which makes it harder for the sauce to stick to it. If you find your pasta is sticking....STOP BUYING RUBBISH CHEAP PASTA!! lol

As for Spag Bog...do you have several hours?!
Back to top Go down
Oli C
Admin
Oli C

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 3:02 am

Storm wrote:
hahaha! Oli is fanatical about Italian food and how it should be cooked.  :-)
It's a spic thang cheers 
Back to top Go down
mpbaz

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 4:17 am

I wouldn't have thought of that although surely it isn't that much of a problem is it? Surely pasta will stick eventually if you do not cook it 'al dente' though wont it?

I don't mind talking food hell..I asked for it didn't I?

So basically what sauce is designed for pasta? What is Bolognese sauce is designed for?

Over to you Oli!!

My lecturer at college was a 'spic' oops sounds bad saying that so I have some understanding in what you mean:)
Back to top Go down
Oli C
Admin
Oli C

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 am

Glad you asked that question (shurrup Storm!)

Matching sauce to pasta is a very scientific process which has taken Italians centuries to get right. So you have to forgive us when PEOPLE GET IT FUCKING WRONG! ARGH! Razz 

Spaghetti is usually eaten with a very thin sauce. Tomato and basil, carbonara etc. This is because the sauce runs down each strand evenly. A meat based sauce is usually eaten with larger strands like Tagliatelle or Fettucine because the flat side traps the mincemeat when you roll it on the fork. With spaghetti you tend to find yourself with a bowl full of mincemeat after you finish the pasta.

Pasta shells are usually stuffed or made with a cannellini bean or pea based sauce/soup because the shell traps a bean in each piece.

Pasta parcels (ravioli, tortellini, canneloni etc) are usually eaten either with a broth or a sauce that compliments the stuffiing i.e ricotta ravioli would be eaten with a neopolitan tomato and basil sauce. Meat Tortellini with a butter, sage and parsley sauce.

Back to top Go down
mpbaz

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 6:05 am

I see, I understand to make a proper Italian tomato sauce takes hours!! So spag bolognaise is British then
Back to top Go down
mpbaz

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 6:08 am

I love tagliatelle and fettuccini and large shells.ermm
Back to top Go down
Oli C
Admin
Oli C

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 2:26 am

It depends...

To make a really good rich bolognese you do need a few hours to let it simmer and allow all the lovely flavours to fully develop and meld together. But that's not to say that you can't make a damn fine meat ragu in half an hour after work...It all depends on what you're trying to make. Bolognese should not be confused with a meat ragu which is quick, simple and cheap to make.

Here's an example:

For a really nice smoky and spicy tomato sauce for something like penne or fusilli try cutting 2 or 3 smoked frankfurters in half and frying them in a little olive oil. Add half an onion finely chopped and fry until soft. Turn down the heat and add a finely chopped or crushed clove of garlic. Don't burn the garlic because then it gives off a very bitter taste. Add the chopped or pureed plum tomatoes as soon as the garlic begins to go golden. Add salt, pepper, pinch of oregano, pinch crushed chilli flakes, and a couple basil leaves and lthen partly cover and eave to simmer (stir occasionally) while you boil the water for the pasta. By the time the pasta is cooked the sauce will have been been simmering for about 20 mins which is plenty of time for a quick thin tomato sauce. You don't have to eat the franks if you don't like them. They are there really only for flavour.
Back to top Go down
Oli C
Admin
Oli C

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 2:28 am

The other thing people always get wrong is how much salt to add to the boiling water. About a tablespoon per pint is perfect.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 4:47 am

I do miss this site... Where has everyone gone?
Back to top Go down
https://twitterpages.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question? Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm a qualified Chef ask me a question?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Twitter Food & Drink-